Welcome, AP Lang’ers! The success of our year together will depend partly on how well we get to know each other. So for your first assignment, you’ll write a brief essay that introduces yourself to me and to your classmates, which you will read aloud during class.
- Make it memorable: include a detail, a story, an experience, etc. that SHOWS who you are. With that said, what your essay should not do is read like a list or resume.
- Write small. What does this mean? Don’t try to tell us your entire life story. Instead, focus on a specific part of your life—one that is meaningful and telling—and explore just that. After we hear your essay, we should get a sense of what’s important to you.
- Let your personality shine. Write in a voice that sounds like you. This is an informal, personal essay. Use humor or sarcasm if that’s who you are. Don’t be afraid to be creative! In the past, I had a student who even played the ukele and sang a song for us. 🙂
And the specifics:
- Your essay should be approximately 400-600 words.
- Bring two copies to class: one to read, and one for me.
- Double (or 1.5) spaced, MLA heading, double-sided preferred.
- DUE TUESDAY, 9/8.
Be sure to practice reading your essay aloud several times before class. Doing this will also help you in the revision process as you “hear” what you’re saying and how you sound.
I’m looking forward to getting to know you and hearing your essays!