- Review “Big” Paper assignment (see below)
- Discuss Commencement Speeches as genre, with focus on Quindlen and Jobs.
- HW: Brainstorm topics for “big” paper. Read Chapter 3 in textbook, stop at
Visual ArgumentPresenting Evidence section p. 97 (so much better than the crazy original hw, huh? Please text/Tweet/post the change so everyone knows). Take notes. Quiz (open-note) on Tuesday. PD 1: Blog due by midnight.
- Vocab Quiz, Chapter 3 Quiz, up to page 97 (open-note)
- QW: Brainstorm topics for “big” paper
Activities from Chapter 3 (in class); writing conferences
- HW: Revise Personal History Essay & have electronic copy ready for class tomorrow, Read “In the Name of Love” for Thursday
- QW: Brainstorm commencement speech ideas
- Lessons on digital tools for revision, sentence fluency revision, writing conferences
- HW: Revise Personal History Essay; bring in paper copy Monday, 2/29. Read/annotate “In the Name of Love” for tomorrow. Read/take notes on David Foster Wallace, “This is Water” (in textbook) for Friday
- QW: Brainstorm topics for “big” paper; Gladwell on hair color
- Analyze argument in “In the Name of Love” (claims, warrants, etc.)
- HW: Read/take notes on David Foster Wallace, “This is Water” (in textbook) for tomorrow. PD 2: Blog due by midnight.
- QW: Commencement speech ideas, Mini-lesson on titles
David Foster Wallace speech“In the Name of Love”
- HW: Read David Foster Wallace (textbook), Revise Personal History Essay, final copy due Monday. 3-minute commencement speech due Wed., 3/2
NEXT WEEK – Write your own 3-minute commencement speech (due 3/2). More on Argument (Logical Fallacies and such) plus other types of speeches, letters, etc. Review rhetorical analysis speech prompts (in-class write coming soon). Submit research topic 3/4.